Wednesday, September 23, 2009

VoiceThread...Maybe later?

As much as I love Photostory, I was not feeling much of VoiceThread, even though it offers, I think, much more. Photostory allowed me to use it right away and it was user friendly. With voicethread, I somewhat got it from playing around, but it was a little difficult in figuring out what did what and how to do certain things. I do like the tools that it offers once you make a video (such as being able to draw, people can add their own thoughts into it), but it was just a little complicated for me. In an elemntary setting, I believe that this program, for me, would probably be used later on (as in 5-6th grade and up). I can see how it would be boring after doing so many photostories, so this would definately be an upgrade.

As for how I would use it? I like that other people can give their input and comments, so the book discussion was actually a pretty cool idea. I would use it as a way for students to share thoughts with their students, but in a creative and updated output. When I was in my undergrad classes, some teachers made me and my group do "group chats" so we can discuss about certain topics. VoiceThread is one way that they would be able to talk, hear, and respond to one another.

Randomness: I really like this website http://educationalsoftware.wikispaces.com/Online+tool It is a huge compilation of free (from what I saw) sites.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Sandy, I couldn't agree more with you on the PhotoStory vs. VoiceThread. I like both for their unique tools they offer and things they let you do, but I think PhotoStory has one up on VoiceThread. I like the fact that voicethread allows for video, but it honestly is not the easiest to navigate. I had trouble understanding how to do this and that. PhotoStory has the steps laid out for you and I just think it is much more user friendly.

Bottom line, I think technology is a must have, and each tool out there has there great things, and their drawbacks. It was great reading your blog because I really felt we had similar ideas.